Back to top.
1) You fill out an application.
2) The application is given to our Applications Processing Dept.
3) Pet Harbor management writes the applicant (or calls in rare cases) and relays questions. If you haven't heard from us, check your spam folder. There usually is a lot of back & forth here.
4) Vet check, landlord check, homeowner association check, if applicable, are performed.
5) Home ownership is checked, where applicable.
6) Personal references are checked.
7) If in an area where we intimately work with a shelter or pound, we do a shelter check.
8) We visit your home. If you are applying to adopt a dog & have no dog, the home visitor will bring a dog (not a Pet Harbor dog).
9) Our Application Processing Dept gathers the reports & presents the summary of results to our board of directors.
10) The board discusses & votes.
11) If approved, the president sends an approval email. If not approved, an appropriate email is sent.
12) If approved, we will discuss with the applicants what dog(s) fit their home.
13) Everyone in your home will come to an adoption event, where applicants and their dogs meet the Pet Harbor dog(s).
To see a listing of the pets we have available, click below or call us at (703) 583-HSKY. We would be happy to discuss the pets or match a pet with your family's needs, though we work with you to try to make the right match, which isn't always the first pet the applicant wants.