Obviously, everything written here is subject to change.
Of course, the safety of our volunteers and adopters is of utmost importance to us. In light of that and due to jurisdictional and PetsMart rules, Pet Harbor has suspended its public events at this time. Therefore, instead of meeting and selecting from all of the dogs, it is necessary to narrow the choice to one dog and one meeting until we are able to again hold public events. This should not prevent people from applying to adopt! ***Pet Harbor will continue to work with prospective adopters during this time.***
Until further notice, adoptions are still occurring with multiple safety precautions in place. Specifically:
~ Prospective adopters have the option of a virtual home visit using FaceTime, Zoom, Facebook Messenger, Google Meet, Skype, or similar virtual method or a video home visit, in lieu of an in-person home visit.
~ Upon application approval, these steps happen:
1) All adoption documentation is completed electronically at least one day prior to meeting a dog. No exceptions.
2) To comply with social distancing and our own logistical concerns, applicants & Pet Harbor will work together to narrow the choices to only one dog.
3) Without a guarantee, of course, if the applicants intend to take the dog home that day after the meeting, depending on factors such as where the dog is fostered, volunteer schedule, etc., with proper safety gear, our volunteers with that one dog will meet with everyone in the applicant household (human & canine), but if the applicants do not intend if it all goes well to take the dog home that day, there will not be a meeting. The meeting will occur at or near the dog’s foster home, which will usually be throughout Virginia or in suburban Maryland or D.C.
4) The volunteer holds the dog forward on a 6′ leash & the applicants hook their own leash to the dog’s collar and disconnect the Pet Harbor leash;
5) From a minimum distance of 6′, the applicants will spend time with the dog while the volunteer is still able to assist and answer questions;
6) If the applicants decide to adopt, the donation will be made electronically and the receipt emailed;
7) If the applicants decide to adopt, the volunteer will take family pictures from a safe distance; and
8) If the applicants decide not to adopt, the reverse with leashing happens, the documentation is deleted, and everybody goes their own way.
- Roll Call
- Here I am in Love Kitten
- Exploring in What is That?
- Playtime in Touch
- Starring with Trost in Tunnel Vision
- with a host of my feline friends in The Gang’s All Here
- Lost in the crowd in All the Gang’s Here
- Christmastime 2010 in Happy Roll
- I have a tiny appearance in O’Grady is a nut!
- 2011 Christmas dinner
- July 2014, Playtime with the Dog
More About Me: Pillows, please. Human pillows, that is. Pretty, please? I really don’t ask for much, just a human or two (or more!) to let me curl up on them. Like all good Southern belles, I’ll be very sweet and polite about it. That is, of course, when I am not playing or just in deep meditative thought that may or may not resemble sleep. I’ve been nicknamed the Peace and Love Guru. Children of all shapes and noise volumes are welcome! Dogs, too, but other cats and kids are my preference if you ask me.Read More