Pet Harbor Rescue, P.O. Box 73, Bowling Green, VA 22427
What to do:
- If you have more than one teen interested in volunteering, please complete one package for each youth.
- If you plan to volunteer with your youth, please complete an adult volunteer application also.
- Retain the Volunteer Guidelines. Please review the guidelines with your youth prior to coming to an event.
- Retain one copy of the permission page. Bring the second copy, signed, to the first event at which your youth will be volunteering. We must have this before the young adult can volunteer.
Please help your parent complete the application. We look forward to meeting you. Welcome aboard!
This is a list of our current positions. Every position with Pet Harbor is strictly as a volunteer. This list is not meant to be conclusive. If you can think of positions we have not thought of that would be helpful, we would love to hear them!
A. Telephone work
1. Adoption Follow-Up
2. Reference Checks (scripted)
3. PR/Training and Education
B. Event assistance
1. Set-up (unloading & setting up dogs, cats, cages, etc.)
2. Tear-down (the reverse)
3. Assistants (walk dogs, fill water, talk to potential adopters/customers, brushing dogs, showing dogs to people, helping with interactions, cleaning messes & litter boxes, sweeping, helping photograph pets, running errands for board members)
1. Solicit specific donations, such as sponsors for particular ads
2. Thank you letters/cards
3. Fund-raising event volunteers (such as bake sale)
- People to donate baked goods
- People to set up sale
- People to man sale
- People to clean up/tear down
4. Forms (maintaining, editing, printing, getting them to us as needed)
5. Hands-on animal care (Bowling Green), a critical need but we must know you first!
7. Volunteer recruitment
8. Promotional and educational brochure creation, particularly geared towards youth
1. My/our young adult/teenager seeking to volunteer has enough experience with dogs and/or cats and is mature enough to volunteer with Pet Harbor and to participate in activities with dogs and puppies of all sizes and/or cats and kittens.
2. Whenever my/our young adult/teenager participates in Pet Harbor's activities, I/we hereby release and agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Pet Harbor, its directors, officers, agents, and volunteers, and its and their heirs, successors, assigns, and personal representatives, or the owner(s) of any location where Pet Harbor events are held from and against liability for any injuries, damages, liabilities, losses, judgments, costs, or expenses whatsoever (the "Losses"), which such young adult/teenager or any pet or other person might suffer or sustain except any Losses which are the result of Pet Harbor's gross negligence or intentional misconduct.
3. I/We acknowledge that there are risks that the young adult/teenager could be bitten, scratched, injured, or frightened by dogs/puppies and/or cats/kittens and I/we assume such risks.
4. I/We have accurately and truthfully completed this Permission and Release Form.
5. This Permission and Release Form is binding upon me, my spouse/partner, and my and his or her respective heirs, successors, assigns, executors, and personal representatives.
6. My teenager is connected with a home-based rescue as defined under Virginia law, specifically Pet Harbor Rescue and Referral, Inc. as a volunteer. With my signature below, I attest that my teen has never been convicted of animal neglect, abandonment, or cruelty.
7. I/We grant permission to Pet Harbor to use photographs on its website or other internet presence or advertising/promotional materials that may contain images of my teenager.
I/We grant our permission and agreement to the seven statements immiediately above by indicating "Yes" below or do not grant my/our permission and agreement to the seven statements immiediately above by indicating "No" below.